Howitzer Monument (Park Ave. and Harrison St., Richmond, Va.
This characteristic monument represents a typical artillerymen at 'Position No. One.' It was unveiled Dec. 13, 1892, and is an excellent example of the work of W.L. Sheppard, a gifted sculptor of Richmond, Va. The Howitzers were organized in Richmond in November, 1859, and saw their first service during the days of the John Brown excitement. The original armament of the organization (and hence its name) consisted of mounted naval or boat howitzers, drawn by the cannoneers. The battalion eagerly embraced the cause of the Confederacy at the out-break of the Civil War, and rendered gallant and effective services throughout the entire period of that conflict.
Southern Bargain House, Richmond, Va.
No published or copyright date listed on postcard.