Richmond (Va.). Dept. of Planning and Community Development
Original Description (From Book)
Built in 1841, this three townhouse row is a good example of the smaller brick Greek Revival house. The roof has a one step gable and the architectural features are well-preserved while the houses are not in good repair. They were owned by Mr. J. Pendleton in 1876 and a bricklayer, J. Lewis Bates, lived in #20 the same year.
Original Note (From Book)
Jackson Street - This narrow street was, during the last years of the nineteenth century, the home of many prominent black families. It was the home of the most important black leaders and the site of the oldest black bank in the nation. The houses are modest in size and many are in poor repair today.
Date of Construction
Type of Building
row houses; town houses
Mr. J. Pendleton; J. Lewis Bates
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Richmond -- Pictorial works; Architecture -- Virginia -- Richmond -- Pictorial works; Architecture, Domestic -- Virginia -- Richmond -- Pictorial works; Richmond (Va.) -- History -- Pictorial works; Richmond (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works; Jackson Ward Historic District (Richmond, Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works