The Van Lew House is probably one of the best examples of Colonial architecture. The date of erection is not known, but additions were made in 1792. The original grant was made to Sir William Byrd; in 1834 it came into the possession of Mr. John Van Lew, and during the Civil War was occupied by his daughter, Lizzie, the famous Union spy, who here secreted hundreds of Union soldiers. The house is now owned and occupied by the Virginia Club.
Tuck & Sons'
No published or copyright date listed on postcard.
Front of the card reads 'Photo only copyright 1906 by Jamestown Official Photo Corp'n.'